[c-nsp] Operational impact of switching from ingress to egress replication mode

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Tue Sep 21 16:58:14 EDT 2010

On 09/21/2010 09:52 PM, John Neiberger wrote:
> Are you all referring to "mls ip cef rate-limit"? If so, what do you

I was referring to the multicast punt rate limiters:

mls rate-limit multicast ipv4 ?
   connected   Rate limiting of multicast packets from directly
connected source
   fib-miss    Rate limiting of fib-missed multicast packets
   igmp        Rate limiting of the IGMP protocol packets
   ip-options  rate limiting of multicast packets with ip options
   non-rpf     Rate limiting of non-rpf multicast packets
   partial     rate limiting of multicast packets during partial-SC state

I don't know what "mls ip cef rate-limit" does; my 6500/SXI box doesn't
have it.

> think would be a good value to use on a Sup 720? We'd like to set it
> so that the CPU isn't overloaded so much that routing protocols drop
> and we don't lose our SSH sessions. That way we can monitor it and
> watch to see when the CPU drops back down to normal.

If you want to rate-limit unicast traffic hitting the CPU I would
investigate CoPP. There's a lot of info on this in the list archives,
and there are many reasons to prefer it to mls rate limiters for unicast
traffic.