[c-nsp] BFD expectations

Jason Lixfeld jason at lixfeld.ca
Wed Sep 22 10:22:18 EDT 2010

It's my understanding that BFD can provide failure detection and recovery similar to that found in POS.  To that end, I'd like to use BFD with ISIS to design an L3 network that has failure detection and recovery mechanisms which rival L2 mechanisms like REP/G.8023/STP's various incarnations, etc.

I've labbed BFD+ISIS between a 7301 and an ME3600, run MTR between test hosts connected to each of the two devices and yanked one of the two links connecting the 7301 and the ME.  I lose about 2-3 seconds worth of packets.  Those results seem a little inconsistent with the claims of BFD's timing, unless there's something I'm missing and even with the BFD hooks, ISIS isn't able to react at near POS speeds.

Anyone have any perspective from the real world?