[c-nsp] BFD expectations

Chris Evans chrisccnpspam2 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 22 10:50:27 EDT 2010

Keep in mind that bfd is just a trigger method. You have to also take into
fact that it still takes time for your protocols to converge.

What are your bfd timers set to?  How many prefixes? Etc....
> It's my understanding that BFD can provide failure detection and recovery
similar to that found in POS. To that end, I'd like to use BFD with ISIS to
design an L3 network that has failure detection and recovery mechanisms
which rival L2 mechanisms like REP/G.8023/STP's various incarnations, etc.

> I've labbed BFD+ISIS between a 7301 and an ME3600, run MTR between test
hosts connected to each of the two devices and yanked one of the two links
connecting the 7301 and the ME. I lose about 2-3 seconds worth of packets.
Those results seem a little inconsistent with the claims of BFD's timing,
unless there's something I'm missing and even with the BFD hooks, ISIS isn't
able to react at near POS speeds.