[c-nsp] DS3 Nubie

Seth Mattinen sethm at rollernet.us
Sun Sep 26 13:23:52 EDT 2010

On 9/26/10 8:26 AM, Andy Dills wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Sep 2010, Christopher J. Wargaski wrote:
>
>> Hey Jeff--
>>
>>    This year I installed a video WAN comprised of several 3845 routers
>> with the NM-1T3/E3 for point to point DS3s (that is all, nothing
>> else). The 3845 routers list at $13,000 and the network module at
>> $8,500. You should do yourself and your firm a favor and look at
>> business class Ethernet. DS3s are so expensive and sometimes a major
>> pain in the butt.
>
> ...or you can buy a 7204 with a DS3 adapter on the secondary market for a
> tenth of that cost.
>
> That said, ethernet is getting cheaper and more widely deployed. We were
> very pleased to discover that Verizon was finally offering this service in
> our LATA. NxT1 now upgrades to ethernet instead of frac DS3 for our
> customers.

I tried that route - took Verizon a year and a half to admit they
couldn't get the long haul portion to work on a transit link over 100
meg Ethernet, which was basically an Overture with an OC-3. Ended up
ordering traditional loops over the same mux from someone else no
problem. Local PTP is fine though.

Ethernet has a much greater degree of operational stupidity and problem
solving ineptness over the classic stuff. Ultimately its only advantage
is cost.

~Seth