[c-nsp] cisco MPLS AutoBandwidth Allocator

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Mon Sep 27 12:34:57 EDT 2010

On Mon, 2010-09-27 at 09:21 +0530, jack daniels wrote:
> I'm stuck in the understanding - does oit make sense to implement MPLS
> AutoBandwidth in scenario where I have only 20 subnets max to be sent
> on this Backbone.

AutoBandwidth gives you the advantage of having the network recalculate
LSPs every now and then. This can (partly) overcome the scenario where
the specific time of establishing an LSP would have a negative effect on
how it's built.

If you use TE extensively and have one or more paths that are
oversubscribed (via RSVP) then AutoBandwidth may be used to shift around
some of the paths to (maybe) achieve a better utilisation.

If you don't have overlapping TE tunnels there's no point in using
AutoBandwidth. If you have plenty capacity (i.e. the sum of bandwidth of
all tunnels is less than you "narrowest" link's capacity) there's also
no need IMO.

I your network is carefully engineered off-line and you never want the
network to change you engineering you also don't need AutoBandwidth.

--
Peter