[c-nsp] How to bring one link down if another related link goes down

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Mon Sep 27 19:22:08 EDT 2010

On 09/28/2010 12:12 AM, John Neiberger wrote:
> We have two ten gig links between a pair of 7600s. For a couple of
> reasons, if one goes down we need the other to go down automatically
> in order to force traffic to take a completely different path instead
> of trying to cram all of our traffic down the remaining link.
>
> My first thought was to use an Etherchannel with min-links set to 2.
> However, there are architectural reasons why we may not be able to use
> Etherchannels in this particular situation. If we can't use
> Etherchannels, what other methods are there?
>
> Is there some way to utilize some sort of object tracking to force one
> link to go down if its partner goes down? Alternatively, the link

Probably the "best" option is an EEM applet. Something like:

track 20 interface TenGigabitEthernet1/3 line-protocol
  delay down 1 up 30
event manager applet TEST
  event track 20 state down
  action 1.0 cli command "enable"
  action 1.1 cli command "conf t"
  action 1.2 cli command "int Te1/1"
  action 1.3 cli command "shut"

...typed from memory so read the docs for more info.