[c-nsp] IPv6 and Cat 6500

Elmar K. Bins elmi at 4ever.de
Thu Sep 30 06:54:36 EDT 2010

Re,

wmaton at ryouko.imsb.nrc.ca (William F. Maton Sotomayor) wrote:

> >I am looking at a new setup and wondering what is the minimum setup that a
> >Cat6500 can do IOS/BGP things on IPv6 and IPv4?  As long as I am setting up
> >a new setup I may as well learn how to handle the IPv4 and IPv6 dual battle
> >of the bits.  Can a Sup2 handle that or??
>
> As others have said, Sup2 can do it but in software only.  12.2(18)SXF17 is the
> latest I have that has IPv6.  Note that it doesn't support multicast IPv6 BGP, if
> you you're looking to be an IPv6 completist. (Unless of course someone persuades
> them to bake a release with it.)

I have found that for experimental purposes, all current (and not-so-current)
Cisco gear can do dual stack without any big problems. If you need multicast,
make sure you have the right feature set (and you'll probably not want to try
that on an ASR 7401 - anybody remember that one? ;-) ).

If you need some real-life forwarding performance, you may want to consider
6500/7600, ASR1k, ASR9k or the Layer 3 switches (3560, 3750, probably Nexus).

If you want good BGP performance, I would - depending on your forwarding
needs - recommend 7201/7301 (software forwarding, slow), ASR1k, ASR9k,
or a 65/76 with this latest super-fast supervisor board (RSP-whatever).

I bet you could also go for CRS's or 12Ks...

I have, for the future, settled for ASR1k for our needs in peering and
autonomous nodes, and we're using 65/76 with SUP720-3BXL in the core.

We don't have crazy traffic levels, though ;)

Cheers,
	Elmar.

--

"Machen Sie sich erst einmal unbeliebt. Dann werden Sie auch ernstgenommen."
							     (Konrad Adenauer)