[c-nsp] Service agreement warning for EOL hardware

Łukasz Bromirski lukasz at bromirski.net
Thu Sep 30 19:42:22 EDT 2010

On 2010-10-01 01:15, Seth Mattinen wrote:

>> There's a "End of new service attachment - November 2006". So, a
>> customer activating a 5-year agreement with Cisco on November 2006
>> could have a support to November 2011. Usually such agrements are made
>> as part of multi-year Advanced Services contracts. Typical service for
>> end users is fixed at one year, so most of typical customers ended
>> up with 3640 no longer supported after November 2007.
> End of sale? The last sale date was 2002, not 2006. 5 years after end of
> sale matches the EOL. I was always under the impression that EOL was final.

"End of new service attachment - November 2006". You could buy a
router in November 2002. Then, four years later you decided it was
a last call for extending the life of your network.
By either renewing yearly the service contract during the entire
lifetime of your 3640, or calling in an inspection from Cisco to check
if they can register the new service for gear that is currently not
covered by any service, you could then in November 2006 go into
5-years contract to support the box just before the 'last date to
order a new service-and-support' was hit.

For the details of the process, coverage/etc you would need to engage
with the negotiations with Cisco account team and/or services team.
However, it seems that your problem is not related to the way how Cisco
treats it's customers, but to downloading the software from CCO with no
valid contract to cover the specific hardware platform :)

One way or another - hope that's clear now.

--
"Everything will be okay in the end.  |                 Łukasz Bromirski
  If it's not okay, it's not the end." |      http://lukasz.bromirski.net