[c-nsp] Understanding 10G line card oversubscription

Mack McBride mack.mcbride at viawest.com
Fri Apr 1 16:44:57 EDT 2011

I attended a tech briefing that included this information.
The release is on target and was told it had been committed to the release.
Ie. It is in final QA before release.  Your sales engineer can provide more information.
The phase 1 release will not support VPLS or EoMPLS. This release is Layer 3 functionality.
>From what the briefing provided, this will include almost all of the normal MPLS functionality (FRR, TE, etc)
The phase 2 release is supposed to support Layer 2 over MPLS.

The OTV functionality does support Layer 2 and is supposedly better than the equivalent MPLS functionality.
Of course this is YATM (Yet Another Tunneling Mechanism) and we will see how it goes.

All in all the 7K is starting to get functionality equivalent to the 6500.

The new 5k/2k equipment is also pretty nice.
The 5548UP is starting to show up on the website with the 5596UP
and better 2k FEX are also supposed to be in the works.
Check with your SE for data on the new products.

Mack McBride
Network Architect