[c-nsp] Questions Regarding Cisco 3750 switches

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Mon Apr 4 13:54:50 EDT 2011

On Mon, 2011-04-04 at 12:52 -0400, Drew Weaver wrote:
> I am looking for a top of rack switch for a little project and the
> 3750 has caught my eye.. I had a few odd questions about it however.
>
> First, can you enable auto-negotiate on the 10/100/1000 ports that
> will only allow the host to negotiate 10/100 unless you want them to
> negotiate 10/100/1000?
>
> I believe there is a command in some 10/100/1000 switches that limits
> the maximum negotiation speed to 100Mbps or 10Mbps without having to
> set the speed/duplex manually.

Yes, you can use "speed auto 100 1000". Beware of the challenges
regarding buffering on the platform -- a thing that becomes much more
relevant when running the ports at less than 1 Gb/s.

You could also use "srr-queue bandwidth limit 10" to limit the
bandwidth, though this only works for outbound traffic and cannot limit
the port to anything less than 10%.

> Second, is there any way with a switch like this to alter the port
> number?
>
> instead of GigabitEthernet0/1 it would be GigabitEthernet1/1? I know
> this seems trivial but some custom written software for whatever
> reason starts counting at 1/1 and goes to 1/48 (probably because it
> was made for 6500s)

Not that I know of.

The closest thing that comes to mind is "define interface-range", but it
has to be accessed with "interface range macro <name>" so that's
probably not really useful. And the "alias" command cannot usefully
include whitespace.

The 3750 interfaces are named "GigabitEthernet1/0/1" and forward by the
way. First numeric ID is the switch number in the stack, or 1 for a
stand-alone switch.

It's better to fix the software. :-)

--
Peter