[c-nsp] Questions Regarding Cisco 3750 switches

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Mon Apr 4 14:24:31 EDT 2011

On Mon, 4 Apr 2011, Drew Weaver wrote:

> First, can you enable auto-negotiate on the 10/100/1000 ports that will
> only allow the host to negotiate 10/100 unless you want them to
> negotiate 10/100/1000?

Yes.

> I believe there is a command in some 10/100/1000 switches that limits
> the maximum negotiation speed to 100Mbps or 10Mbps without having to set
> the speed/duplex manually.

You can do "speed auto 10 100" per port.  If you just use "speed auto",
the port can autonegotiate to 10/100/1000.

> Second, is there any way with a switch like this to alter the port number?
> instead of GigabitEthernet0/1 it would be GigabitEthernet1/1? I know
> this seems trivial but some custom written software for whatever reason
> starts counting at 1/1 and goes to 1/48 (probably because it was made
> for 6500s)

Most 3750s use the numbering format:

stack_member_number/module/port

In the case of a single (non-stacked) switch, that would give you a port
number like 1/0/48.

I am not aware of any way to alter the port numbers on the 3750(G/E/X).

jms