[c-nsp] Handling Out of order packet

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Mon Apr 4 18:12:52 EDT 2011

See below

Jared Mauch

On Apr 4, 2011, at 4:27 PM, Nick Hilliard <nick at foobar.org> wrote:

> On 04/04/2011 15:42, Jared Mauch wrote:
>> Is there a reason you are not just doing per-flow?  Have you looked at
>> running LACP?
>
> LACP is orthogonal to the hashing algorithm.

The hardware hashing does per flow only, so it is related :-) I've never seen hardware that does anything but at least.

>> I would leave per-packet as a last resort in almost any environment.
>
> I have seen per-packet cause performance gain, but only in extremely distressed circumstances.  You're right that it should generally be disabled, because it causes all sorts of trouble.

True, but the topology sounds like diverse paths being used for load sharing vs redundancy. Lacp fast mode can help here too depending on the platform.

Without knowing more it's hard to tell. But it sounds like an Ethernet topology and the 802.3 tools may help here.