[c-nsp] NetFlow for billing on 6500/SUP720-3B

Dobbins, Roland rdobbins at arbor.net
Wed Apr 6 21:49:52 EDT 2011

On Apr 7, 2011, at 8:44 AM, Jon Lewis wrote:

> I suspect there will be switch processor load issues if you do more than some form of sampled netflow,

6500 with current hardware doesn't support sampled NetFlow.  It supports NDE export sampling, which isn't the same thing, at all.

;>

DFC-enabled linecards export NDE directly; the only time CPU load should be an issue is if there's lots of punted traffic, which is indicative of larger problems which should be addressed immediately.  Again, the issue is the propensity of the platform to export non-deterministically underreported statistics, along with the lack of TCP flags.

		The basis of optimism is sheer terror.

			  -- Oscar Wilde