[c-nsp] Logging your Firewalls

Alexander Clouter alex at digriz.org.uk
Sat Apr 9 07:46:05 EDT 2011

Peter Rathlev <peter at rathlev.dk> wrote:

>> For enterprise users, how many log ALL firewall traffic?  Both permits
>> and denys?
>
> We log everything at debugging level. Using rsyslog we put "Built",
> "Teardown" and "Deny" in one file, URL logging in another, and
> everything else in a third.

We pretty much log everything, but do trim (with syslog-ng) DNS
recursive lookups from our internal resolvers as in my opinion, it is a
pointless (and verbose) affair:
----
match(" for inside:1\.2\.[34]\.8/.* to outside:.*/53 " value(MSG) type(posix))
----

As said else where, 'permit's are important, without them, it is
impossible to deal with abuse reports.  Deny's tell you what traffic did
*not* exit your network whilst the permit's do.

Cheers

--
Alexander Clouter
.sigmonster says: Type louder, please.