[c-nsp] 6500's SLA check feature

Nick Hilliard nick at foobar.org
Wed Apr 13 12:42:22 EDT 2011

On 13/04/2011 16:16, Greg Whynott wrote:
> thanks Nick.   wasn't seriously considering it,  discovered it by accident, thought id ask.
>
> for a brief weak moment there i thought it might be the cadilac of naglios.

Saku Ytti mentioned offline that the actual ip sla timestamping is done by
CEF rather than as a generic low priority RP / CPU operation (this was news
to me - but quite interesting).  This means in effect the timestamps it
returns will be surprisingly accurate.  However, as the IP SLA Responder
and Mon Sync processes need to handle sending and receiving packets, it's
not clear that you're guaranteed that your packets won't be dropped or not
sent in the first place due to busy RP / CPU.  IOW, it's a great tool, but
understand that it has limitations.  And no, it's not a replacement for nagios.

Nick