[c-nsp] disabling GigE negotiation on NX-OS

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Fri Apr 15 14:07:54 EDT 2011

Hi,

yesterday, one of our customers tried to move two GigE-on-fiber circuits
from a Catalyst 4507 to a new Nexus 5548.

The other end terminates on some carrier gear (and is then multiplexed
in whatever ways across the city).

After moving the circuit, the link didn't come up on the Nexus, but
the carrier gear *did* show link.  I wasn't on-site, so I couldn't
investigate myself, but it smells very much like "GigE link negotiation
being disabled on the carrier gear" - carriers love that.

Of course we do not have access to either the Catalyst nor the Nexus,
but it's "our duty" to "make it work" (after all, we provide the fiber
patches!).  So I'd like him to test disabling link negotiation on the
Nexus, but don't know how to do that - no access to any NX-OS gear yet.

On CatOS, this is "set port negotiation x/y disable".

On IOS, it's "int giga x/y / speed nonegotiate".

--> How to do it on NX-OS?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus5000/sw/configuration/guide/cli_rel_4_0_1a/BasicEthernet.html

refers to "Layer 1 autonegotiation", but no word on turning it off...

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de