[c-nsp] disabling GigE negotiation on NX-OS

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Fri Apr 15 17:01:47 EDT 2011

Hi,

On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 01:44:03PM -0700, quinn snyder wrote:
> testing in my lab now -- simple back to back copper over glc-t between
> n5020 running 4.2(1)n2(1) and asr1002 running 3.1.0s

Thanks for testing, but I'm afraid this won't bring new information -
copper GE and fiber GE is significantly different here, and as far as
I understand, there is no way to run GE copper without negotiation
(both ends need to agree who is PHY master and slave, and sort out the
wire pairs).

So it might disable negotiation of flow control and such, and might
show the link as "always up", but the PHY will still negotiate.

[..]
> interface Ethernet1/1
>   speed 1000

We (the customer) had that, but that wasn't sufficient.  But if that
indeed disables link negotiation for fiber SFPs, we had some other
problem...

In any case: thanks for the suggestions so far!

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de