[c-nsp] disabling GigE negotiation on NX-OS

quinn snyder snyderq at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 17:24:40 EDT 2011

dug through some kit -- found sfp-ge-s and a 62.5um cable.
same interfaces being used.

link came up for me.  again -- this is with n5000, not n5500, but i
wouldn't think too great of a difference?

===============================
asr1002-1(config)#do sh run int gig 0/0/3
Building configuration...

Current configuration : 74 bytes
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/0/3
  no ip address
  no negotiation auto
end

asr1002-1(config)#do sh int gig 0/0/3
GigabitEthernet0/0/3 is up, line protocol is up
   Hardware is 4XGE-BUILT-IN, address is 588d.09ef.5103 (bia 588d.09ef.5103)
   MTU 1500 bytes, BW 1000000 Kbit/sec, DLY 10 usec,
      reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255
   Encapsulation ARPA, loopback not set
   Keepalive not supported
   Full Duplex, 1000Mbps, link type is force-up, media type is SX
   output flow-control is on, input flow-control is on
   ARP type: ARPA, ARP Timeout 04:00:00
   Last input 00:00:01, output never, output hang never
   Input queue: 0/375/0/0 (size/max/drops/flushes); Total output drops: 0
   Queueing strategy: fifo
   Output queue: 0/40 (size/max)
      36 packets input, 4800 bytes, 0 no buffer
      Received 0 broadcasts (0 IP multicasts)
      0 runts, 0 giants, 0 throttles
      0 watchdog, 36 multicast, 0 pause input
      0 packets output, 0 bytes, 0 underruns
      0 unknown protocol drops
      0 babbles, 0 late collision, 0 deferred
      0 lost carrier, 0 no carrier, 0 pause output

---------------------------------

n5020-1# sh run int e1/1

!Command: show running-config interface Ethernet1/1
!Time: Fri Apr 15 21:16:15 2011

version 4.2(1)N2(1)

interface Ethernet1/1
   speed 1000

n5020-1# sh int e 1/1
Ethernet1/1 is up
   Hardware: 1000/10000 Ethernet, address: 0005.73a1.6508 (bia
0005.73a1.6508)
   MTU 1500 bytes, BW 1000000 Kbit, DLY 10 usec,
      reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255
   Encapsulation ARPA
   Port mode is access
   full-duplex, 1000 Mb/s, media type is 1/10g
   Beacon is turned off
   Input flow-control is off, output flow-control is off
   Rate mode is dedicated
   Switchport monitor is off
   Last link flapped 00:03:47
   Last clearing of "show interface" counters 00:33:26
   30 seconds input rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec
   30 seconds output rate 184 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec
   Load-Interval #2: 5 minute (300 seconds)
     input rate 0 bps, 0 pps; output rate 96 bps, 0 pps
   RX
     0 unicast packets  1 multicast packets  0 broadcast packets
     1 input packets  81 bytes
     0 jumbo packets  0 storm suppression packets
     0 runts  0 giants  0 CRC  0 no buffer
     0 input error  0 short frame  0 overrun   0 underrun  0 ignored
     0 watchdog  0 bad etype drop  0 bad proto drop  0 if down drop
     0 input with dribble  0 input discard
     0 Rx pause
   TX
     0 unicast packets  218 multicast packets  0 broadcast packets
     218 output packets  32576 bytes
     0 jumbo packets
     0 output errors  0 collision  0 deferred  0 late collision
     0 lost carrier  0 no carrier  0 babble
     0 Tx pause
   2 interface resets
===============================

i've used this article in the past[0].  while dated -- it seems to have
some good information.  it doesn't appear that speed nonegotiate is
accepted under the 4.2 code on n7k -- so i'd assume similar parity in
4.2 on n5k platform.

i tried to pull of the optic information from my n5k -- but its not
coming out clean.  however, when i use this transceiver in n7k, i get
the following output

================================
n7k-1# sh int e 1/25 trans
Ethernet1/25
     transceiver is present
     type is 1000base-SX
     name is CISCO-FINISAR
     part number is FTLF8519P2BNL-C6
     revision is B
     serial number is FNS143907J7
     nominal bitrate is 1300 MBit/sec
     cisco id is --
     cisco extended id number is 4
==================================

when i try to configure speed on n7k running 5.1(3) code, i get the
following options (which may lend more insight into why this works

===================================
n7k-1(config)# int e 1/25
n7k-1(config-if)# speed ?
   10     10Mb/s
   100    100Mb/s
   1000   1Gb/s
   10000  10Gb/s
   auto   Auto negotiate speed

not sure if hard-setting the speed and negotiation are mutually
exclusive -- but i'm just passing along what i'm seeing.

q.

[0]http://www.netcraftsmen.net/component/content/article/69-data-center/807-migrating-to-nexus-7000-from-catalyst-6500-and-4500-switches.html

==