[c-nsp] Is a 6500 still the best choice?

Leigh Harrison lharrison at convergencegroup.co.uk
Tue Apr 26 10:23:19 EDT 2011

Hello Folks,

We're looking to start aggregating more and more 10G links at both Layer
2 and Layer 3 and we're at the point where we need more kit.

Main feature we use is MPLS and we need 10G port density, so I'm looking
towards an ASR 9000, but then as we need Layer 2 services, I'm swayed
back to the 6500E's.  They'll be used for both aggregation and direct
access.

I have been pondering the Nexus 7K's looking towards the future and 100G
coming onto our network, but they lack the MPLS support at the moment.

Is a 6500 still the best bang for your buck or does the lack of anything
over 10G ports hold it back?

LH