[c-nsp] does duplex mismatch affect UDP throughput?

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Tue Aug 2 07:59:29 EDT 2011

On Tue, 2 Aug 2011, Reuben Farrelly wrote:

> Not to mention it also breaks MDI-X... grrr.

It doesn't really, just on some platforms. Just the same way that there is
absolutely no reason for the device to stop advertising autoneg
capabilities just because 100/full was forced, is there a reason to turn
off MDI-X just because duplex and speed was forced. This is a matter of
implementation. I feature requested continuing of autoneg being on even
though speed and duplex was forced, to Cisco and other vendors 6-8 years
ago, and got very little traction back. I'm told some catalyst switches
nowadays have this feature.

I encourage everybody to require autoneg and auto MDI/MDX to stay on when
you do RFQs. It's time this operational nightmare was put out of its
misery.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se