[c-nsp] does duplex mismatch affect UDP throughput?

Damien Luke Damien.Luke at ac3.com.au
Tue Aug 2 08:51:13 EDT 2011

From: cisco-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net [cisco-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net] On Behalf Of Mikael Abrahamsson [swmike at swm.pp.se]
Sent: Tuesday, August 02, 2011 9:59 PM
To: Reuben Farrelly
Cc: Gert Doering; cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net
Subject: Re: [c-nsp] does duplex mismatch affect UDP throughput?

On Tue, 2 Aug 2011, Reuben Farrelly wrote:

> Not to mention it also breaks MDI-X... grrr.

It doesn't really, just on some platforms. Just the same way that there is
absolutely no reason for the device to stop advertising autoneg
capabilities just because 100/full was forced, is there a reason to turn
off MDI-X just because duplex and speed was forced. This is a matter of
implementation. I feature requested continuing of autoneg being on even
though speed and duplex was forced, to Cisco and other vendors 6-8 years
ago, and got very little traction back. I'm told some catalyst switches
nowadays have this feature.

I encourage everybody to require autoneg and auto MDI/MDX to stay on when
you do RFQs. It's time this operational nightmare was put out of its
misery.

====

We have had some traction with Telstra when doing migrations from Vendor N to Vendor C.  We refused to hard code interface settings and got our account manager involved at 1am in the morning.  Turns out that waking someone who probably sleeps less than four hours a night can get things resolved ;)

(Not my current employer, but NSW Govt).

Damien