[c-nsp] 6PE

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Wed Aug 3 05:47:43 EDT 2011

On Wednesday, August 03, 2011 05:01:53 PM Mathieu Paonessa
wrote:

> There's two different v4 world here:
> 	- We run IPv4 + IGP + MPLS with only the P/PE
loopback
> and interco subnet. This keeps a very compact internal
> routing table and allows all our core infrasctructure
> not to be visible from outside.

Right, but MPLS forwarding requires IPv4 to be working.
Something that can affect your IPv4 forwarding (it could be
configuration, it could be code, it could be hardware) has a
high chance of affecting your MPLS forwarding.

Now not only have you lost both v4 and MPLS, you've also
lost v6 if you're doing 6PE (yes, it is possible that
something which affects your v4 may not affect your v6, and
vice versa).

I've seen many networks get themselves out of trouble when
they muck up their v4 ACL's, but can still log back into the
router/switch via v6. Of course, not a valid reason to
deploy v6, but a good side benefit nonetheless.

> 	- "Internet" IPv4 is running inside a VRF like any
other
> MPLS IP/VPN. Any routing issue on that IPv4 Internet
> world would not affect our IPv6 infrastructure.

Of course, but I wasn't talking about your v4 Internet - I
was just saying that MPLS needs v4 to work, and 6PE needs
MPLS. So in a long chain, 6PE needs v4, and would, thus, be
sensitive to v4 events that have the potential to cause MPLS
events.

> For many network these days, if your MPLS dies, your
> network dies.

Yes, but for others, it's not the case if your v6 is native.

Native v6 isn't affected by MPLS failure. 6PE is affected by
MPLS failure, whatever the failure is caused by.

> Sure but what's the issue there?

Troubleshooting is more difficult, traceroutes look strange,
complexity is increased especially at the edge, e.t.c.

Of course, it's not the end of the world, but if native is
an option that is feasible, it certainly is much simpler to
deploy and manage. Whether an operator chooses to go native
or 6PE is really up to them.

> If you're running MPLS
> you're tunneling in v4 ou v6 anyway.

Ummh - not necessarily. Yes, v4 is wrapped inside MPLS for
forwarding in the core when you turn MPLS on. But you also
have native v4 running in the core which can forward v4
packets without having them wrapped in MPLS (normally
packets following the IGP, barring special cases of MPLS-
TE).

6PE is different - there's no v6 running in the core. It's
just one big hole through which v6 packets enter, and
hopefully, come out at the other end :-).

What I don't mind is native MPLS signaling for v6. That way,
you still have native v6 configured in the core. But that's
another IETF story :-).

> Damn, I must be one of those zealots :)

MPLS does have its benefits, and we use it to deliver
several applications in our network, including IPTv services
to a decent number of homes. So we do like it.

But it is possible to believe in MPLS too much that it tends
to become a panacea. This is not just an operator problem,
some vendors too. It's no secret that a huge amount of
revenue for vendors comes from MPLS-related sales, which is
why young IP engineers today want to learn about MPLS before
they know what an IP address is :-). But let me not digress.

> Depending on what your network looks like, not always.
> For example if you run OSPF, you'll have to run two IGP
> so that makes twice the work when deploying new devices.
> Not saying that I've seen many people modifying their
> ospf cost in v4 and forgetting to do it in v6 when
> changing their routing topology.

There's a solution for that - go IS-IS :-).

But seriously, is native/dual-stack hard to do? Certainly!
Ensuring that your v4 and v6 policies always match is a
challenge to the level of human diligence (or laziness). You
know what they say about good engineers :-).

But the long-term gain in suffering the pain now, in my
opinion, is all worth it. For us, the simplicity of
native/dual-stack is a huge pay off for all the time and
hassle it took to equalize v4 and v6 configurations.

I can understand that for some networks, the effort may
simply be too much to bear, so 6PE and other tunneling
technologies are likely the only option, even though they
may not be simple to manage in the long-term.

It's a trade-off.

> One of the reasons we went for 6PE back in 2007 is that
> we still had some Engine 2 GSR cards on the network and
> those are not able to do IPv6 in hardware. There was no
> way on earth that we would run software IPv6 on our core
> and had no budget to renew the core at that time.

Like I said, constraints such as yours are obviously very
valid, as you have no other option but to tunnel v6 into v4
somehow.

However, some networks don't have this restriction, and the
extra effort involved in going dual-stack turns them away
from, well, going native/dual-stack. We're human.

Some other folks have gone 6PE because they want to ensure
v6 forwarding rates are equal to those of v4/MPLS (as the
router assumes it's forwarding v4/MPLS packets). This is
because most vendors, today, are spinning ASIC's that have
lower pps forwarding rates for v6 than v4 and MPLS, but I'm
sure you knew that already :-).

> I've done a presentation during the last FrNOG meeting
> about our 6PE experience. The talk is in french but the
> slides are in english (http://dai.ly/kRr5WE) if that
> could help.

I'm not doubting the efficacy of 6PE, or any other
transition mechanism out there. It does work, and is
carrying v6 traffic for many of the world's largest networks
today.

Is it something I'd recommend for my (friend's) network.
Short of being an evil competitor, probably not; unless
there are extenuating circumstances as mentioned above.

Cheers,

Mark.