[c-nsp] Cisco 6509 MSFC boot problem..

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Fri Aug 5 05:29:07 EDT 2011

On Fri, 2011-08-05 at 14:43 +0530, Ambedkar Podeti wrote:
> When i am manually restarting the switch, the boot variable and boot loader
> of the MSFC card entries are missing and it is going to
> ROMMON mode. We have to give BOOT command everytime.
> RSM_6509_1#sh boot
> BOOT variable = bootflash:c6msfc2-jsv-mz.121-19.E1.bin,12
> CONFIG_FILE variable does not exist
> BOOTLDR variable = bootflash:c6msfc2-jsv-mz.121-19.E1.bin
> Configuration register is 0x2102

I'm not sure how a Sup II works, but what does "remote command switch
show boot" say? Synchronising the RP and SP normally happens with "write
memory". On the (at least older) Sup 720 it's not really NVRAM but
battery based, and a worn out battery can prevent the device from
booting properly.

For good measure: Try booting manually and then fetch the output of
"remote command switch show boot". Afterwards issue "write memory" and
look at the "remote command switch show boot" again. If they're
different it sounds like a battery related problem to me.

--
Peter