[c-nsp] Are "line protocol" and LIT the same?

Martin T m4rtntns at gmail.com
Sun Aug 7 10:21:52 EDT 2011

Rich,
how does Ethernet "carrier-sense mechanism" differ from "link
integrity check"? I mean aren't those two the same? A quote from
O'Reilly:

<<<<<
100BASE-TX link integrity test

The 100BASE-TX transceiver circuits (PHY) continually monitor the
receive data path for activity as a means of checking that the link is
working correctly. The signal encoding on 100BASE-TX segments sends
signals continually, even during idle periods. Therefore, activity on
the receive path is sufficient to provide a continual check of link
integrity.

As I understand, in case of "Link Integrity Check"(physical layer
signals) fails, the switch/router shows "line protocol is down
(notconnect)"..

regards,
martin