[c-nsp] Brocade VS Cisco

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Thu Aug 11 13:59:27 EDT 2011

On (2011-08-11 16:51 +0000), Michael Balasko wrote:

> As far is the Cisco tax goes? TAC, features and money spent on custom ASIC's-

- ES+ and ASR9k are using EZchip, albeit slightly modified for Cisco
- ASR1k and CRS-1 build on tensilica technology (arguably still Cisco IP).
- ISR is all off the shelf.

Not sure if Cisco is particular offender here. ME3[68]00 Magic FPGA and
Nexusk7/SUP2T PFC4 are probably all Cisco though, and I think that's a good
thing.

I'm personally not seeing cisco tax myself. When I look boxes which meet my
demand, everything is available roughly in same price range, assuming sales
droid can realistically expect you to choose something else than Cisco.

My main complaint with Cisco last few years is that new boxes at FCS are
incredibly feature poor and it takes too long to deliver feature parity to box
you're trying to replace.
Also Cisco seems to have poor judgement when choosing which boxes to announce
and which to push back to wait for different market situation, probably because
they seem to think that they (other BU) are their worst competitor.

How well would have 2RU 7600 with 4 wirerate 10GE + two slots with 20SFP or
2x10GE each sold? Or same box but with ES20 engine instead of PFC3 in 2007?
--
  ++ytti