[c-nsp] Brocade VS Cisco

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Fri Aug 12 06:21:10 EDT 2011

On Friday, August 12, 2011 01:59:27 AM Saku Ytti wrote:

> I'm personally not seeing cisco tax myself. When I look
> boxes which meet my demand, everything is available
> roughly in same price range, assuming sales droid can
> realistically expect you to choose something else than
> Cisco.

And what we've seen is that, pretty much, you can get just
about the same pricing from both Cisco and Juniper for
roughly the same amount of kit.

The other day, only about US$10,000 separated our decision
between both vendors, and yet it was a non-price reason that
made us choose one over the other.

With everything going Ethernet, 10Gbps being the standard
for even medium-sized networks, there is very little
hardware differences among vendors. What we're now seeing is
philosophical differences in design that clearly show
fighting between Cisco and Juniper.

Interesting stuff...

> My main complaint with Cisco last few years is that new
> boxes at FCS are incredibly feature poor and it takes
> too long to deliver feature parity to box you're trying
> to replace.

Indeed, and for us, the ME3600X/3800X is such a box, as was
the ASR1000 when it first shipped (and which, even now,
still doesn't have all the features you can find on a 7200).

But, as it were, Juniper are also facing the exact same
problem. Newer hardware, many times, requires newer code,
but this code would not support the same on-card feature
that is available in older card for a previous line card
model. It's mighty frustrating.

Mark.