[c-nsp] Brocade Vs Cisco

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Fri Aug 12 06:24:37 EDT 2011

On Friday, August 12, 2011 03:52:44 PM Gert Doering wrote:

> Recently, OS and TAC support quality at Juniper seriously
> went down the drain, so the original reason to want
> Juniper "high quality operating system and very
> motivated company to iron out the remaining wrinkles"
> seems to have been lost...

Yep - in particular, Junos 10.2.

Junos 10.4 seems to have returned to some kind of normalcy,
but it certainly has nothing on the days of 8.5.

Forget, totally, about Junos 9. An utter and complete
disaster.

A number of cool new features in 11.x, but no way we're
touching that, even though the release notes claim to fix
issues we have on 10.4 today.

> OTOH, Cisco is still stuck in "we have too many operating
> systems and we spend half our resources with BU
> in-fighting" mode - which, I guess, will now be fixed by
> firing 10.000 folks from engineering so they won't get
> in the way of the in-fighting anymore...

If, at the very least, Cisco could lock down the PI code
(yes, we know some of its does need to be rewritten for the
new platform, even though it's PI code), that would save a
lot of hassle - because many times, the enhancements we need
are quite small, but still need all the stuff we already
have.

> Right now, I'm not sure I'm trusting either company
> enough.

You know what, I think I'm with you on this one.

That's why we're constantly pushing both. And each purchase
is a fresh call. Just because I bought a vendor's kit on the
last round, doesn't mean I'll buy it again on the next one,
even though the functional requirements are the same.

Mark.