[c-nsp] Brocade Vs Cisco

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Sun Aug 14 08:12:13 EDT 2011

On Sunday, August 14, 2011 07:54:17 AM Ryan Finnesey wrote:

> If I have the option to engineer to our  requirements I
> would use cisco at the edge and Juniper at the core.

If you're now considering current offerings from both
vendors, you would actually realize that aside from the most
special of cases, it really doesn't matter who is used in
the core or edge.

In the core, we've used both Juniper and Cisco with pretty
much no difference. I'd pick a vendor based on small issues
such as rack space and power utilization requirements,
rather than price or performance as those are quite evenly
matched these days. One area that could still tip the scales
for us in the core is 10Gbps port density. Otherwise, no
major differences.

In the edge, things get interesting. Juniper's MX line is
certainly powerful, but is not without its challenges. We've
had great successes, and failures. Cisco's ASR9000 is not
bad either, and has caught up sufficiently feature-wise but
still has a bit of a way to go. We've deployed both of these
platforms in this role, and for the most part, are running
as expected.

In essence, the core isn't such a big problem for us. We
would be happy running a CRS, ASR9000, T4000 or MX960. The
edge is more interesting, and in some cases, some vendors
can be better than others, even though problems on the MX
and ASR9000 are all fixable in the future. For us, the
biggest issues to always consider in the edge are QoS and
Multicast capabilities.

Cheers,

Mark.