[c-nsp] Brocade Vs Cisco

Kevin Cullimore kcullimo at runbox.com
Tue Aug 16 01:07:47 EDT 2011

On 8/14/2011 8:55 AM, Mark Tinka wrote:
> On Sunday, August 14, 2011 10:04:17 AM Scott Granados wrote:
>
>> You know that's interesting, I've been following this
>> thread but I totally agree with you.  I very much like
>> Juniper on the core side and I really like their
>> switches...
> Really? We use Juniper's EX3200/4200 products, and have had
> tons and tons of (software) problems since inception. Truth
> be told, it was Juniper's first foray into the switching
> space, and the whole of Junos 9 which launched the platform
> was basically a waste of time for even the most basic of
> features. In this space, Cisco spoilt us.
A lot of effort and attention was diverted during the Junos 9 days
towards finalizing the integration of the security product line with the
core routing & forwarding technologies. Things might have turned out
differently had they been able to put more distance between the rollouts
of the switching product line and the SRX series.

> The EX3200/4200 have certainly gotten better and easier to
> use with Junos 10, but we've come across strange hardware
> problems that can't be solved by software, it's quite sad.
> In one case, we had to swap out EX4200's with Cisco's new
> ME3600X's (Layer 2 only).
>
> I haven't played with the EX8200 (chassis model) much, but
> you can find both good and bad feedback about them on the
> 'j-nsp' mailing list. In general, they seem to be a little
> better than the 1U models.
That's not accidental.

> Moreover, the EX was what finally showed that the single
> Junos advantage Juniper have been pushing really isn't
> feasible. And you know what, this isn't necessarily a bad
> thing.
To a lesser extent, they're encountering challenges similar to the ones
Cisco faced when trying to integrate/"borg" various purchased product lines.
>> but it's hard
>> to beat devices like the 7200 for
>> circuit aggregation at the edges.
> Here, I have to agree. When it comes to non-Ethernet
> aggregation, the 7200 is great. We even choose it before the
> ASR1000, as it's unlikely a dedicated non-Ethernet NPE-G2
> aggregation box will be running out of steam anytime soon.
>
> But then again, Juniper haven't had a strong competitor in
> this space. Non-Ethernet support on the M7i/M10i is present,
> but the 7200 simply does a better job.
>
> One area where Juniper need to quickly beef up is something
> to compete against the ASR1000. Juniper still don't have a
> box that will do 100Mbps, 1Gbps, 10Gbps and non-Ethernet at
> a reasonable $$ value. This is where the ASR1000 is cleaning
> house. I hear something is in the works, but the market is
> moving.
>
> For the Metro-E Access, Juniper fell short on the MX80,
> IMHO. They had such a huge opportunity there to eat up lots
> of Cisco, Huawei and ALU business. They need a 1U platform
> that is a proper Metro-E Access platform in terms of price,
> port density and features. Something is in the works, I
> hear.
>
>> Another place where I
>> think Cisco wins hands down is on the VPN side.  I
>> really got to dig in to the ASA product line during my
>> last gig and with some help from some really skilled
>> folks on this list I really got pretty good with the
>> devices pretty fast.  I've used te Juniper SRX line for
>> similar functions and the ASA just makes more sense, at
>> least to me.
> Not so heavy on the VPN side of things here. A couple of
> 2811's running IPSec/VPN's makes us happy. But if the market
> is anything to go by, the Netscreen's and SSG's have been
> very good VPN platforms, so I guess Juniper did something
> right there.
Netscreen did something right there . . .

>  From what I've been seeing on the 'j-nsp', the SRX is quite
> formidable but has been plagued by numerous software
> problems. Those seem to be getting cleared up, and I think
> this platform stands to be a serious force in the future.
4 billion dollars and 7 years later, we're reminded of how formidable
integration challenges can be.