[c-nsp] ASR opinions..

John Elliot johnelliot67 at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 22 00:55:09 EDT 2011

> If you mean FHRP's like HSRP, VRRP or GLBP, no. But I
> suspect those should be pretty stock features with nothing
> major to worry about.

Cheers - hopefully someone has a couple of 1000's setup in a redundant fashion(w/ hsrp etc) that can comment  ;)

> Yes, you should be fine if you're running the latest code.
> However, I now remember that we were unable to run QoS
> (ingress marking) on an LACP interface. Cisco call the
> feature GEC QoS, which makes you wonder if the problem will
> re-surface when doing 10Gbps LACP. At any rate, Cisco said
> this should be available in IOS XE 3.4S. Suffice it to say,
> we haven't tested this yet. That said, Cisco said QoS
> capabilities on LACP sub-interfaces was supported - weird.

Thanks - Yes we run portchans, so portchan subints is where we apply qos policies..so egress is ok, ingress is not(currently)?

> One other thing that wasn't available for us at the time was
> MPLS-TE support on LACP links. We swapped these routers out
> for ASR9000's, so don't know whether MPLS-TE on LACP links
> is now possible.

Not currently doing any TE, so hopefully if we ever do, it will be available...

> Like I said, the main problems with the ASR1000 is the
> software.
>
> > > Netflow is also something we utilise on the existing
> > > 7200's - asr's netflow functional?
>
> We're running FNF on the ASR1002's. No major drama, but then
> again we're just doing trending and TE management.

We use it for billing, so pretty important that it works well  ;)
Thanks again Mark - really appreciate it.