[c-nsp] ASR opinions..

Matt Moor m at imprecise.org
Thu Aug 25 02:46:27 EDT 2011

On 21/08/11 3:39 PM, Mark Tinka wrote:
> On Sunday, August 21, 2011 08:28:22 AM John Elliot wrote:
>
>> Hi, Looking at the 1002's
> We like the ASR1002's, but while we haven't used them in a
> broadband aggregation role, we find the RP1 very slow,
> particularly when saving configurations and such. But then
> again, the ASR1002's RP is a fixed unit inside the chassis
> and can't be upgraded.

To my eye, the ASR1001 looks like a better option now that it's
available - it's an intel based platform (ala RP2), albeit less powerful
(Core Duo vs Xeon), with something like the equivalent of an ESP5 inside
it. Talking to a few Cisco folk about it seriously (a few months ago)
more or less confirmed this. The 1002F apparently had some market
pressure driving it to availability before RP2 was ready to go, and the
1001 very much "feels" like an RP2 version of it (for those of us in the
Ethernet world, anyhoo).

I left the company before we ended up deploying some, but the due
diligence had born out to that point.

- Matt