[c-nsp] 2x WS-X6408A-GBIC or a WS-X6816-GBIC

chiel chiel at gmx.net
Thu Aug 25 05:20:53 EDT 2011

Hi,

I got a 6506-E with a Sup7203BXL. Now I need to add some line cards to
this chassis. I got two options.

1. Install 2x WS-X6408A-GBIC that I still have lying around
2. Upgrade a WS-X6816-GBIC which I got (currently has a DFC3A) with a
DFC3BXL. I need to buy the DFC3BXL in this case.

The device needs to do full IPv4/IPv6 BGP and possible MPLS and QoS in
the future. Interfaces will not push to much traffic in the beginning,
perhaps 100Mbps per interface on average, this will probably increase.
Will the WS-X6816-GBIC with a DFC3BXL significantly increase the
performance for these requirements? Or will two WS-X6408A-GBIC do just
fine? I'm pretty sure that 2x WS-X6408A-GBIC will do fine for the Full
IPv4/IPv6 BGP stuff but I'm a bit worried when I want to do Qos and MPLS
on this box.

chiel