[c-nsp] 2x WS-X6408A-GBIC or a WS-X6816-GBIC

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Thu Aug 25 05:55:19 EDT 2011

On Thu, 25 Aug 2011, chiel wrote:

> I got a 6506-E with a Sup7203BXL. Now I need to add some line cards to
> this chassis. I got two options.

You now have over 10 Mpps forwarding performance on the SUP in this case.
Even in worst case with small packets, you still have several gigabit/s of
forwarding.

> 1. Install 2x WS-X6408A-GBIC that I still have lying around
> 2. Upgrade a WS-X6816-GBIC which I got (currently has a DFC3A) with a
> DFC3BXL. I need to buy the DFC3BXL in this case.
>
> The device needs to do full IPv4/IPv6 BGP and possible MPLS and QoS in
> the future.

MPLS no problem, QoS is limited by what linecard you have. None of the
ones you have can do much advanced QoS and don't have much buffers.

> Interfaces will not push to much traffic in the beginning, perhaps
> 100Mbps per interface on average, this will probably increase. Will the
> WS-X6816-GBIC with a DFC3BXL significantly increase the performance for
> these requirements? Or will two WS-X6408A-GBIC do just fine? I'm pretty
> sure that 2x WS-X6408A-GBIC will do fine for the Full IPv4/IPv6 BGP
> stuff but I'm a bit worried when I want to do Qos and MPLS on this box.

MPLS will be fine, your forwarding requirements are probably a few percent
of what the SUP720 is capable of.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se