[c-nsp] Layer 3 on an ES+ EVC

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Mon Aug 29 11:50:37 EDT 2011

On Tuesday, August 23, 2011 09:43:19 PM Jason Lixfeld wrote:

> On a 7600 ES+ card, if one wants to configure a layer 3
> EVC, is the standard practice still to map the EVC to a
> bridge-domain/SVI and apply the IP address to that SVI
> or has Cisco finally turfed that ridiculous requirement
> to to burn an SVI in favour of something a little more
> 2011?

Have not worked on an ES/ES+ line card before beyond the
lab, but we have the same restriction in the ME3600X/3800X
world.

Layer 3 for EVC's must be instantiated on an SVI as you
rightly point out. I agree, this is old school, and is not
very tidy, but it is possible there are far more complicated
matters for Cisco to consider besides aesthetics.

Perhaps Waris can chime in :-).

Cheers,

Mark.