[c-nsp] Layer 3 on an ES+ EVC

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Mon Aug 29 12:52:20 EDT 2011

On (2011-08-29 23:50 +0800), Mark Tinka wrote:

> Layer 3 for EVC's must be instantiated on an SVI as you
> rightly point out. I agree, this is old school, and is not
> very tidy, but it is possible there are far more complicated
> matters for Cisco to consider besides aesthetics.

In addition to aesthetic it means you have MAC learning. I never understood the
need for EVC, it breaks lot of existing tools people have in place (SNMP
counters are in different place, provisioning things like EoMPLS is different,
etc) and I'm unable to extract any benefit from the model.

In my world, 'EVC' features should have been just implemented in subinterfaces.
Now platform related challenges are exposed to users, which seems poor
practice. (There is no reason e.g., why ES+ card subinterface couldn't be magical in
7600 and not eat internal VLAN from PFC, UI can very well present things to
users in familar matter, even though behind the curtains there are
implementation differences)

Now EVC is just another type of logical subinterface and it is very confusing
operationally why there needs to be two type of them.

--
  ++ytti