[c-nsp] WARNING: Netflow Data Export & Hardware assisted NAT not supported on 76xx/65xx on the same interface

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Mon Aug 29 23:35:36 EDT 2011

On Sunday, August 28, 2011 10:29:42 PM Matthew Huff wrote:

> I would understand the limitation if I was using some
> unusual feature or using them in some unusual way.
> However, the marketing literature for the RSP720
> mentions supporting hardware-assisted NAT, and netflow
> collection. These are major features, and one of the
> advantages of using a hardware router/switch rather than
> a software one (which is important in the financial
> realm, since market data by nature is bursty). A simple
> notice that netflow data collection and NAT cannot be
> used on the same interface should be mentioned in that
> literature since it cannot work under any configuration
> on the same interface.

A vendor we work with mentioned in their marketing data that
they support Multicast on their platform. We got bit very
hard when we realized that it wasn't possible to have both a
sender and receiver locally connected to the box at the same
time, and have it receive and replicate Multicast data at
the same time. It had to be either one or the other; not
both.

6 days of troubleshooting and several hours on the phone
with their support team was the cost - and of course, angry
customers and sleepless nights thrown in for good measure
:-).

It certainly would have been easier if the vendor said, "We
support Multicast but not when you're trying to use the box
in the real world, thank you very much" before we deployed.

Luckily, our issue can be fixed in software, which it has.
But catch us trusting vendor marketing again, both for the
least and most obvious features.

Mark.