[c-nsp] ASR opinions..

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Tue Aug 30 00:20:57 EDT 2011

On Tuesday, August 30, 2011 12:58:06 AM Robert Raszuk wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> > It's just that the ASR1001 will only install 512,000
> > entries into the FIB, and we're not yet sure what a
> > control-plane only router (route reflector role) will
> > do when we exceed this maximum.
>
> You do not need any BGP route to be send to RIB and FIB
> if you are control plane only router (example Route
> Reflector).

Yes, which is the majority of the time. However, there are
times when the NOC will troubleshoot data plane from the
route reflector, for whatever reason, and this is where
things could get tricky.

One of the reasons we're still happy running software-based
routers for route reflectors in one of our businesses, as
attractive as the ASR1001 and other solutions seem.

Mark.