[c-nsp] LACP and Wireless links

Graham Beneke graham at neology.co.za
Tue Aug 30 08:05:27 EDT 2011

I have a current deployment where I have 6506's deployed in 2 data
centres with 2 diverse fibre paths between them. I'm using LACP to
bundle the fibre paths and it is working pretty well. We haven't had any
cable failures but our failover testing has worked.

I am about to deploy this same architecture in another network with one
slight difference: No fibre is available between the sites, I can only
get SDH based microwave links with ethernet hand-off.

The wireless links have a much higher chance of failing and there is
also no link sensing so I will need to have a more robust setup. I've
read about 'quick' LACP that has quicker keepalives and shorter timeouts
but I can't seem to find any command reference on configuring this.

Would LACP provide sufficient detection of forwarding failures? I don't
need much less than 5s failure detection.

Would UDLD provide any kind of benefit to this setup?

Thanks
--
Graham Beneke