[c-nsp] WARNING: Netflow Data Export & Hardware assisted NAT not supported on 76xx/65xx on the same interface

Tony Varriale tvarriale at comcast.net
Wed Aug 31 21:59:47 EDT 2011

On 8/29/2011 12:05 PM, Matthew Huff wrote:

> It took 3 weeks with TAC including a network sniffer trace file to prove to the tech it didn't work. When he escalated it to backline BU engineering, he found out it wasn't supported. It isn't even well known within Cisco.
A lot of these things aren't.  That really isn't their business model.
I could give you 1000s of examples.
> I really don't think a consultant or TME would have found this limitation either. The whole purpose of this thread is just to have it documented in the nsp archives/google, not to start an argument.
I think if you look for someone that has extensive experience in your
vertical you would have/will find that person.  TMEs are great resources
but if they haven't run into this before then they probably wouldn't
know.   And, I'm not sure how many you will find with trading experience.

> As far as configuring in a lab, that would be nice, but we hardly have the time for that including setting up a test netflow collector and sending through test data, just to confirm a feature that Cisco market literature advertises.
Well I would always recommend it in a lab.  But, in general avoid NAT on
the 6500.  Just design around it.  It works but it's really a work
around to get a feature into the device that has been requested too many
times.
> It would be nice to spend the time setting up RFP and test labs to verify vendor claims,
See my previous post.  RFPs are essentially the worst thing you could
do.   Reaching out in your industry would have been the first thing I
would have done.  The talent pool is there.
> but there is no way I can spend the resources to do such at the firm where I work. My time is devoted to actual implantation (we are a algorithmic trading firm).
Ahh, I suspected you were more of a manager hence my previous comment of
hiring talent.
> I am sure there are some good consultants out there, but ones that understand market data issues well and the network designs that support them are few and far between.
Yes that is very true.  But, they are out there.  And, you have more
than enough talent in your vertical.
>   and this is the first time I've run into a feature limitation with not so much as a caveat or hint of possible limitations.

That's an amazing statement.  I've run into tons of issues in your
vertical across many product lines (6500, 4900M, Nexus, etc).  But, that
is to be expected.  There is no perfect product.  You just have to find
the right products and design for your business.

tv