[c-nsp] NSR in ASR 9000

Grzegorz Janoszka Grzegorz at janoszka.pl
Sun Dec 4 04:14:23 EST 2011

On 03-12-11 18:30, Prashanth kumar wrote:
> I am new to ASR 9000 family. We are migrating some of the border routers to
> ASR 9000. These have 2 RSP ( Route Switch Processor) one is active and
> other standby.  it is in production,  We have RSP synched and RSP1 is
> showing NSR ready (see below).  Does the ASR  RP swichover seamless, i.e
> the OSPF  and BGP ( tcp) session get carried over to standby RP  or will
> the neighbor relation get reset. The neigbor routers does not support
> Gracefull restart (GR).

The impact of the switchover depends how you configured your protocols
on this ASR and on the other sides. For OSPFv2 and BGP you may have full
NSR (no support from the other side required), for OSPFv3 you may have
graceful restart only (and the other side has to support it).

> We dont have NSR turned on for routing protocols BGP and OSPF.  I have 2
> quesions will the turning on NSR under OSPF cause ospf neigbor relaionship
> to be reset and for BGP I think I need to reset the neighbor sessions to
> kick in.

Turning on NSR or graceful switchover for this protocol will have no
impact (no session flaps), but remember that graceful so is something
that you negotiate, so you have to reset your OSPF sessions to enable
graceful so.

--
Grzegorz Janoszka