[c-nsp] l2tp xconnect problem with packets > 1430

Antonio Querubin tony at lavanauts.org
Wed Dec 7 14:49:42 EST 2011

I have two cisco 2821 routers running IOS 12.4(25e) configured with a l2tp
xconnect.  The relevant portion of the configs are below.  Both routers
can ping each other's loopback interface with large packets (> 1500).  But
hosts off opposite ends of the xconnect cannot consistently ping each
other with anything larger than 1430 bytes.  However, throughput between
hosts across the tunnel running iperf is good (> 400 Mbps).

However, if I remove 'ip pmtu' and 'ip dfbit set' from the
pseudowire-class, large pings (9000 byte packets) start to work but
the throughput across the tunnel drops to less than 50 Mbps.

The switch interfaces attached to the xconnect endpoints are configured
with MTUs of 1500 and so are all the hosts on the switches.

Router 1
========
ip cef
!