[c-nsp] auto versioning of device configs, ala RANCID or ??

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Thu Dec 8 13:59:47 EST 2011

On Thu, 2011-12-08 at 13:08 +0000, John Brown wrote:
> What is the list.wisdom on automating the capture of device config and
> config changes ??
>
> RANCID is what we have used in the past.  Just wondering if there is
> something "newer / better"

Probably +1 for RANCID unless you like to tinker. ;-) I havn't tried
RANCID myself but it comes highly recommended.

We use regular polling of variable in CISCO-CONFIG-MAN-MIB
(ccmHistoryRunningLastChanged and ccmHistoryStartupLastChanged) and
backup via OLD-CISCO-SYS-MIB::writeNet. It works very well and makes it
easy to customize.

--
Peter