[c-nsp] Management VLAN not working (2950T-24)

Lee Starnes lee.t.starnes at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 13:35:16 EST 2011

Hi,

I have an odd question. We have a Cisco WS-C2950T-24 that was working fine
until we changed the device it is directly connected to for its uplink. The
switch was connected to a gig port on a 3550 and was reachable. It is now
connected to a gig port on a 6509. The strange thing is, it passes traffic
to all the devices conencted to it and even to another 3550 connected via a
gig port. We just can't seem to ping or connect to the switch itself.
Management VLAN is 32. The fact that it works on the the 3550 which has to
pass through the 2950, tells me that the VLAN is trunking through. A show
vlan on the 2950 shows it active and a show int vlan 32 on the 2950 shows
it up/up. Below is how these are configured and connected. Anyone ever seen
this before?

3550-----gig0/1 to gig0/1-----2950T----gig0/2 to gig1/1-----6509

>From the 6509, VLANs 2-299 are trunked to the 2950. Those same VLANs are
trunked from the 2950 to the 3550.

! <-------3550-------> All devices including the 3550 itself are reachable.
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/1
 description UPLINK from 3550 to gig0/2 c2950T
 switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
 switchport trunk allowed vlan 2-299
 switchport mode trunk
 load-interval 30
!

! <-------2950T-------> All devices on the 2950T are reachable except for
the switch itself.
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/2
 description UPLINK from 2950T to gig0/1 c3550
 switchport trunk allowed vlan  2-299
 switchport mode trunk
 load-interval 30
!
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/2
 description UPLINK from 2950T to gig1/1.c6509-a
 switchport trunk allowed vlan  2-299
 switchport mode trunk
 speed 1000
 duplex full
 load-interval 30
!

! <--------6509--------> All devices are reachable on the 6509 and all
devices on the other two switches are reachable except we can't ping or
login to the 2950T. We can reach and login to the 3550 from the 6509.
!
interface GigabitEthernet1/1
 description GigE trunk to OFFICE SWITCHES
 switchport
 switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
 switchport trunk allowed vlan 2-299
 switchport mode trunk