[c-nsp] Weird Multicast microburst amplification issue

Jeff Bacon bacon at walleyesoftware.com
Tue Dec 13 18:15:23 EST 2011

This might sound incredibly silly, but in the case I've had better luck with 4900s. They use a single central buffer, so the buffer is effectively considerably deeper, depending on the specific workload of course.

I've never been quite able to bring myself to use a dell blade chassis, and none of my people want to do HP. Plus we're playing with different 10G NICs for perf tuning. So, piles of 1Us and Aristas.

assuming you've got 6708/6716s (or are you using the 10Gs on the vs720?), you COULD attempt to use SRR QoS to attempt to knock off the edges of the peaks a little - say, cap at 500m-1Gbit for those flows to try and smooth out the microbursts a little on the 10g pipe.

or, the gig ports on the supervisor IIRC have somewhat larger buffers. not sure how much help that is though, it's not like there's a lot of 'em.

-bacon