[c-nsp] Recommendation for small GBit router

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Sat Dec 17 03:15:19 EST 2011

On Friday, December 16, 2011 09:21:02 AM Andrew Miehs wrote:

> I wouldn't buy a new 7200 nowerdays - they are not that
> much cheaper than the ASR1001s (if at all).

Unless you're buying them on the used market.

The 7200's are still useful if you require port density,
especially for non-Ethernet interfaces. We use them to
aggregate a bunch of E1's (cSTM-1), and it's much cheaper to
do that (refurbished units) on the 7200 because it's a
software router, and the bandwidth requirements of E1
customers aren't a major threat to the system.

Mark.