[c-nsp] Recommendation for small GBit router

Andrew Miehs andrew at 2sheds.de
Sat Dec 17 14:06:18 EST 2011

This provides a type of overview

http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/downloads/765/tools/quickreference/routerperformance.pdf

although your milage will change based on which software features you enable.

On 17/12/2011, at 6:34 PM, Mark Tinka wrote:
> As I've mentioned before a couple of times on this list,
> we've pushed an NPE-G2 up to an aggregated forwarding
> performance of 950Mbps @ 90% CPU utilization.
>
> The box was running in a P role (way back when the network
> was much smaller), so IPv4, IPv6, IS-IS, MPLS, BGP for IPv6,
> LDP, RSVP and BFD. No ACL's (pure P role), no QoS. 9,000
> bytes MTU on all interfaces.

Apart from running something like running lots of E1s, x21 interfaces I would no longer purchase a new 7200. As for second hand boxes - if you can get a service contract for them, ok.

I still remember a friend of mine buying 4x 7500s filled with VIPs and ?Supervisors?… Every card, and even the chassis all had problems! But it was not that the cards didn't work - they booted, came on line, and then crashed after 2 days, etc. He spent 6 months debugging the issues with these boxes due to that and EVERY single piece needed replacing. Needless to say, it ended up costing the company more than it would have to buy new.

The original poster still hasn't indicated what type of interfaces he requires, but if they really are ethernets - and he is really interested in going "cheap" I would use a PC.

Regards

Andrew