[c-nsp] Recommendation for small GBit router

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Sat Dec 17 12:34:53 EST 2011

On Saturday, December 17, 2011 11:53:42 PM Gert Doering
wrote:

> To complement what Jared said:  The NPE-G1/G2 are
> software forwarding platforms, so you get the maximum in
> flexibility, but the G1 will NOT give you 1gbit/s of
> forwarding performance.  The G2 is supposed to (but I've
> not personally verified that).

As I've mentioned before a couple of times on this list,
we've pushed an NPE-G2 up to an aggregated forwarding
performance of 950Mbps @ 90% CPU utilization.

The box was running in a P role (way back when the network
was much smaller), so IPv4, IPv6, IS-IS, MPLS, BGP for IPv6,
LDP, RSVP and BFD. No ACL's (pure P role), no QoS. 9,000
bytes MTU on all interfaces.

Cheers,

Mark.