[c-nsp] Recommendation for small GBit router

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Sat Dec 17 10:53:42 EST 2011

Hi,

On Sat, Dec 17, 2011 at 03:08:15PM +0100, "Rolf Hanßen" wrote:
> ok, nevertheless, what can I expect from these 4 processors / plattforms ?
> As far as I found NPE-G1 / NPE-G2 will have SW updates till 2013/2015.
>
> What throughput can bigger/newer plattform like Sup32/ASR provide with
> netflow ?

To complement what Jared said:  The NPE-G1/G2 are software forwarding
platforms, so you get the maximum in flexibility, but the G1 will NOT
give you 1gbit/s of forwarding performance.  The G2 is supposed to
(but I've not personally verified that).

The Sup32 will you give >20 Gbit/s hardware forwarding throughput, but
comes with some caveats, like "very slow CPU for anything done in
software", "netflow without TCP flags" and "limited memory for netflow"
(but 1Gbit/s *should* be fine, unless you have extremely high flow
churn).

The NSE-* have hardware forwarding that never really worked, so the
whole product line was abandoned.  Short summary.  Don't Go There.

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de