[c-nsp] mLACP at 6500

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Wed Dec 21 04:27:12 EST 2011

On Wednesday, December 21, 2011 05:17:42 PM Phil Mayers
wrote:

> It's also not very interesting (to me) because it's
> active-standby i.e. not both links forwarding. I can do
> that *now* with most NIC teaming drivers, or the linux
> "bond", and without upstream config.
>
> Personally, I don't see the point. Wondering if anyone
> can suggest a reason for the "feature".

We have tried it because we don't have the VSS supervisor
modules, but we always assumed it was active/active,
otherwise what's the point?

We're certainly looking forward to it on the ME3600X, and
hope it won't be as broken there as you suggest it is on the
6500.

Juniper's initial implementation of this on the MX only
supported Layer 2 instances. However, they now do support
running IP atop MC-LAG's, although they implement it using
VRRP.

Mark.