[c-nsp] mLACP at 6500

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Dec 21 04:17:42 EST 2011

On 12/20/2011 09:42 PM, Robert Hass wrote:
> Hi
> In 12.2 SXJ release Cisco implemented very interesting feature called
> - multichassis LACP (mLACP). Documentation says it's designed for
> server deployment. I'm using topology where distribution is made at

My understanding was that they meant directly attached servers i.e.
plugged into the 6500 directly, not via intermediate switches.

Do they even support a trunk mode mLACP?

> two 6500/Sup720 and from each 6500 is 1G link to access switch (2960).
> Redundancy and loop-free topology is provided by MSTP. I'm looking for
> comments how good or bad mLACP works. As we would like migrate from
> MSTP to mLACP for access switches (currently 60 access-switches).

It comes with an alarming list of caveats, like "you cannnot define >100
vlans on a switch where you also enable mLACP".

It's also not very interesting (to me) because it's active-standby i.e.
not both links forwarding. I can do that *now* with most NIC teaming
drivers, or the linux "bond", and without upstream config.

Personally, I don't see the point. Wondering if anyone can suggest a
reason for the "feature".